To bench correctly, you must take the following 5 steps:
1. You need to lie down on the bench so that the bar is directly underneath your eyes. Put your feet in the correct position.
2. Pull your shoulder blades back and grab the bar. Try to bend or break the bar to tighten your upper back and create a stable position for your shoulders. Squeeze your glutes, push the knees out and try to create ‘sticky feet’.
3. You can now lift the bar out of the rack, over your shoulders. Make sure you have the correct grip before you lift the weight out of the rack.
4. Keep your shoulders blades back, your upper back tight, and lower the weight under tight control but as fast as possible. Lead with your elbows.
5. When the bar touches your chest, you can extend your arms (leading with the elbows) and lock out the weight. Your PR is doomed from the start if you make a mistake in any of the first steps.